This branch notes:
- That Goldsmiths UCU (GUCU) is in dispute with the Senior Management Team (SMT) at Goldsmiths, University of London over 20 FTE planned redundancies as part of SMT’s Academic Portfolio Review (APR) aimed at reducing staff costs.
- That a further 32 redundancies are planned in professional services, directly affecting the working conditions of academic staff and students.
- That this restructuring undermines the autonomy of departments, lecturers and researchers, increasingly centralising power over budgets, decision making, academic portfolios and procedures with SMT.
- That moves towards restructuring at Goldsmiths are already having a seriously detrimental effect on the functioning of the university, such that basic services for staff and students are collapsing.
- That SMT has spent over £2.5m in consultants and untold costs on change managers related to the restructuring.
- That SMT has employed union-busting tactics in the past, and is currently delaying payment to key GUCU branch officials for carrying out trade union activities.
- The determination of GUCU members to fight for decent working conditions for all staff at Goldsmiths.
This branch believes:
- That SMT has not explored alternatives to cuts, including stopping the use of expensive consultants and managers; fundraising; applying for government funds in Arts and Humanities; developing a vision for growth etc.
- That the planned cuts at Goldsmiths follow a pattern of financialisation increasingly seen across UK Higher Education Institutions, whereby financial pressures from banking partners are used to justify restructures that prioritise the cutting of frontline staff while increasing managerial costs.
- That the battle against redundancies and the financialisation of Goldsmiths make GUCU’s dispute one of national significance.
This branch resolves:
- To issue a public statement of solidarity with GUCU’s dispute. 2. To make a contribution to GUCU’s strike fund.
- To invite a GUCU striker to a branch meeting.
- To write to Frances Corner (Warden) at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and Dinah Caine (Chair of Council) at email@example.com expressing opposition to the redundancies and restructuring.
- To actively support and publicise GUCU’s dispute, strike days and campaign events through social media, trade union contacts and beyond.