Many people will be seriously concerned about the coronavirus (COVID-19). We expect guidance from the national union in the coming days, and will update this page as soon as we hear. The University of Cambridge has provided some standard guidance on its website, but there also appear to be a broad range of different responses to the virus coming from departments and institutions. As a result, we have communicated a number of urgent questions and concerns to University HR and the colleges, and we have asked for formal assurances on topics including:
- Immediate provisions for staff in high-risk categories, or those living with or caring for vulnerable people or NHS staff, to be able to work from home
- Sick pay and paid isolation for all staff, including TES and hourly-paid staff, so that no one loses out from virus-related closures or cancellations
- Stronger leadership on cancelling large events and travel
- Steps the University is taking to improve hygiene management.
- Coordination of responses to the Coronavirus between the University and the colleges.
We will let you know as soon as we have answers to our questions.
COVID-19: Useful Links
The following are some useful links for advice about Coronavirus and the workplace:
UCU Coronavirus Advice – Guidance for UCU members on Coronavirus and their rights at work
University of Cambridge COVID-19 – Advice for staff and students at the University
UK Government Response to Coronavirus – regularly updated information about the government’s response to the pandemic
TUC COVID-19 Coronavirus Guidance – Guidance for trade union reps, designed to give an understanding of the workplace issues in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic
Mind Advice on Coronavirus – Addresses the effects of Coronavirus on wellbeing, and offers advice for working from home, self-isolating etc.